For chemical manufacturers, staying on top of compliance regulations for labeling is critical to success. Not only does it protect your company against liability stemming from mislabeling: It also gives customers, partners and users the information they need to stay safe while handling hazardous materials.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) states that these fields should be present on all chemical labels:
- Name, address and telephone number. These fields are self-explanatory. Users should know the name of the company that produced the chemicals, where it's located and how to get in touch with a representative.
- Product identifier. A drum label needs to indicate the contents of a container, not just by brand name but also by the "generic" title. This may also include batch number and other identifying codes.
- Signal words. Terms like "danger" and "warning" indicate how severe the risk of encountering these materials is. "Danger" indicates a high level of hazard while "warning" is used for a lower degree of danger, according to OSHA.
- Hazard statement. This portion of the label goes into greater detail about health risks. For example, OSHA says "Causes damage to kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure when absorbed through the skin" would be an acceptable hazard statement.
- Precautionary statement. Manufacturers must indicate how the product can best be handled, stored and used. Any special considerations that should be made about temperature, handling equipment and restrictions are contained here.
- Pictograms. "It is important to note that the OSHA pictograms do not replace the diamond-shaped labels that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires for the transport of chemicals, including chemical drums, chemical totes, tanks or other containers.
With an industrial label printer, companies can rest assured that their chemical drum label strategy is consistent with the demands and expectations of regulatory bodies. Contact us today to learn more about our chemical labeling solutions.